Shelburne, ON (Shelburne Police Service) Winter has us firmly in its grip and the Shelburne Police Service would like to take this opportunity to share some tips for safe winter driving. We understand that driving in the winter can be stressful, but a few small steps can hopefully keep you safe and collision free.
- If road conditions are dangerous, consider making alternate travel plans or staying home until the conditions improve.
- If you must drive in the snow please clean your car off before you head out.
- Keep a winter emergency kit in your car in case you get stranded. There are lots of great references on the internet to help you build your kit.
- Slow down and don’t tailgate. Driving too fast for the conditions is main cause of winter collisions.
- Turn your lights on. In blowing snow or heavy snowfall this is how other drivers will be able to see you.
- Brake slowly and make turns in a controlled manner.
- NEVER use your cruise control in snowy, icy or wet conditions.
- Don’t pump your brakes. Allow your antilock braking system to work by applying constant pressure.
- Please watch for pedestrians, snowmobiles, snowplows and emergency services vehicles that may be using or working on the road that you are travelling on.
- Do not go around signs indicating road closures. The road is closed and it is an offence under the Highway Traffic Act to drive around a barricade.
Winter can be a beautiful and enjoyable time of year, following these tips can keep it fun and safe for you during these winter months.