(NC) There are many challenges that come with raising young children. An often overlooked one is keeping small hands safe from electrical harm.

The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) and parenting experts Vanessa & Melissa, mom bloggers in the Toronto-area that have six kids between them, understand that not all electrical dangers are visible. In fact, on average, more than 110 kids under 15 end up in the emergency room each year in Ontario because of an electrical injury. More than half are under the age of five.

“As busy moms of 6 kids, safety is constantly top of mind at home,” said Vanessa Rempel. “By taking care of small fixes right away, like placing a broken cover plate, we keep everyone safe.”

Although some may be tempted to brush off a little buzz shock, research shows that even low-voltage shocks can have serious long-term after effects like memory loss, anxiety and the feeling of pins and needles.

Fortunately, all shocks are preventable, according to Dr. Joel Moody, Director, Safety Risk, Policy and Innovation Electrical Safety Authority.

ESA and Vanessa & Melissa recommend three easy home fixes for you and your kids to help prevent shocks:

  1. If your outlet has a missing or broken cover plate, replace it immediately. Outlet covers create a barrier between people and exposed wires.
  2. Install child-safety outlets to protect younger children. These tamper resistant-receptacles have special shutters that cover the plug slots and help prevent little fingers or objects from going into the outlet.
  3. Check all your cords. If a cord is frayed or damaged, replace it. Extension cords are prone to damage, which can lead to a shock or fire and should only be used temporarily.

If you or someone you know receives a shock, seek medical attention. Find more tips online at esasafe.com/nosafeshock.