(NC) From festive parties to late-night wrapping and baking sessions, this time of year can be extremely busy. While your to-do list may seem daunting and may even be keeping you up at night, a good night’s sleep is the answer to many of the issues that plague us during the holidays.
Fortunately, getting a better sleep is easier than you think. Here are few tips to try:
- Unplug earlier. While that holiday movie marathon might be calling your name, try to keep your TV off for 60 to 90 minutes before bedtime. Light exposure in the evening can trick your brain into thinking it’s still daytime, which doesn’t help when you’re trying to get a good night’s rest. The same goes for your smart devices and computers, which emit blue light. Try curling up with a good book to help unwind at the end of the night instead.
- Quit the caffeine. Avoid the after-dinner latte with friends or the need to make coffee in order to stay awake longer to finish your errands. Caffeine may reduce your total sleep time and if you’re consuming caffeinated beverages night after night, this could be detrimental to your health. Opt for an herbal tea instead to help encourage a restful sleep.
- Create a zen space. Stressed out and can’t get your mind to turn off? Try creating a space that’s conducive to sleep. To start, your bedroom should be dark, quiet and cool. Try using a diffuser with lavender essential oil that is calming, soothing and relaxing, making it great to use before bedtime. A sound machine such as one that produces white noise or spa sounds can also be extremely effective in helping you relax into a restorative sleep.
- Weigh yourself down. You’ve likely heard of a weighted blanket and it might seem like a strange concept, but don’t knock it until you try it. Gravid weighted blankets have been helping people feel more secure and reduce anxiety for a better, deeper sleep. It’s a worth a try to help reduce your holiday stress.
- Talk to an expert. Visit a Wellwise by Shoppers Drug Mart to speak to an expert who can help you with tips and products for a better night sleep.