Orangeville, ON (Harold Doan and Sons Ltd.) Not so long ago, people did not feel the need to lock their doors or windows. But times have changed, and so has the need to use locks for protection.
Most individuals do not have proper lock security. Only half of Canadians have dead-bolt locks on all the entry doors to their homes. One in five have none.
Homeowners should check and update old locks on all doors and windows. Replace them with ones that provide protection. Also, make sure your locks have a long enough bolt to prevent prying the door open.
Installing quality locks is the first line of defence against home burglaries. They can protect you against physical attack. Take other steps to increase your security. Here are some tips from the National Crime Prevention Council:
* Use your locks. Even the best locks can’t protect you if you don’t use them.
* Do some yard work. Trim hedges and bushes so thieves can’t hide out.
* Know your neighbours. Neighbours who look out for each other are among the best, and least expensive, defenses against neighbourhood crime.
* Secure your spare. Leave your spare key with a trusted neighbour. Never hide it on the property. Burglars have more experience looking for keys than you do hiding them.
* Let there be light. Make sure all outside entrances – front, back and side – have good lighting so burglars can’t hide.
* Stop mail and paper deliveries. A pile of newspapers in the driveway is a clear sign to a thief you’re away from home.
Harold Doan and Sons Ltd is a professional mobile locksmith, serving Orangeville, Dufferin County and the surrounding area. Call us to help you find solid, workable security solutions. Solutions that allow you to proactively protect your premises and the assets on those premises. Better security is part of our Security Solutions package customized to your specific security needs.